Share the video with your friends and family, screen the video at community events and film fests! You can request the file from us for screening. Click here to find out more information about the people behind the video.
Take Instant Action
- Share the video with your friends and family on facebook, embed the video on your website, “Like” the video!
- Screen the video at your local events, include it in your local film fests.
- Get signatures on the petition.
- Print and download the flyer about GM alfalfa.
- Ask your local health food store to put up this attractive poster about GM alfalfa! The store could also collect signatures on the petition, screen the video or display alfalfa-related foods!
- Order buttons for your community group or event. Contact us.
- Join the GM Alfalfa Campaign Action Listserve.
- Donate today to support the campaign. Thank you for your support!
- Send us your action ideas and share photos from your community. Contact us.
Even More Actions!
- If your Member of Parliament is a Conservative: Click here for important action suggestions that could make a huge difference!
- Farmers: you can send usyour testimonials about how alfalfa will impact your farm business. Email Lucy at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Farmers: We need videos of you talking about how important alfalfa is to your farm – What is alfalfa? Why is GM alfalfa such a big threat?
- Groups and Businesses: Your group can sign the No to GE Alfalfa campaign statement. Please encourage organizations, producer associations, companies and community groups to sign!
- Retailers: Download and print this poster for your store!
- Retailers: Coming soon: “GM Alfalfa Campaign Action Kit for Retailers”. Let us know if you are interested in receiving one.
Summary: Alfalfa growers do not need or want GM alfalfa and have been trying to stop it for at least five years. Organic food and farming in the U.S. and Canada is under immediate threat from GM alfalfa. Conventional farmers will also lose their markets. The introduction of Monsanto’s genetically modified (GM) herbicide tolerant (Roundup Ready) alfalfa would have serious negative impacts on many different types of farmers and farming systems, both conventional and organic. Because alfalfa is a perennial crop pollinated by bees, GM contamination is inevitable. GM alfalfa was actually approved in Canada in 2005 but still needs to go through one more step before it can be legally sold as seed in Canada.
Why is Alfalfa Important? Alfalfa (harvested as hay) is used as high-protein feed for animals like dairy cows, beef cattle, lambs, poultry and pigs and is also used to build up nutrients in the soil, making it particularly important for organic farming. If introduced, GM alfalfa would ruin export markets for alfalfa products and threaten the future organic food and farming in the North America.
What are Farmers Saying about GM Alfalfa?
Conventional and organic farmers agree that GM alfalfa is not wanted or needed: What conventional alfalfa producers told the House of Commons Agriculture Committee, June 7, 2010